Laughing at the Dark (A Poem)

Here's a small poem I wrote about the funny things that happen to me due to my visual impairment. Maybe someone else can relate too :)Laughing at the dark (A Poem)

In a world that values sight,
I stand out with my daily plight
Mismatched shoes on my feet,
But they're both tied, neat, and sweet.

I may talk to mannequins and knock signs down,
But it's all in good fun, without a frown
My cane is my drumstick, my sunglasses my shield,
In my own world, I'll never yield.

I'm a blind person, but that's okay,
For laughter and joy, I make way
Join me in the fun, let's all break through,
For in this world, being different is true.

Some might pity my lack of sight,
But I don't need their sympathy, not tonight
I've got my quirks and my unique style,
And I'm happy to go the extra mile

I embrace the challenges that come my way,
I learn to adapt, and I seize the day
I see the world in a different light,
And for that, I'm grateful, despite the blight

So, I wear my mismatched shoes with pride,
And walk with confidence, stride by stride
I talk to mannequins and have a blast,
It's all in good fun, my days are never cast

With my cane as my trusty guide,
I march on with nothing to hide
And when the world stares in disbelief,
I simply smile, with no sense of grief.

For in the end, it's not about what they see,
But about how I live, wild and free
With a heart full of joy and a soul so true,
Being blind is just a part of what I do.

😀    

A video of the poem my friend made for me:




P.S. As an experiment, I wrote the first stanza of my POEM in an AI program (Midjourney) and told it to visualize this. This is the image it gave (I don't know the outcome, maybe someone sighted can explain what it drew and how it turned out?)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Apps for the Visually Impaired/Blind: Navigating the World with Technology

Making Mathematics Accessible for the Visually Impaired

Unlocking Potential: Solutions for Visually Impaired Children's Social Emotional Needs